Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Monday, February 22, 2010
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
I went to the gym last night at about 10 pm so perhaps this is my fault. But ALL the weirdos go to the gym that late. Honestly, predominantly all the people at the gym fall into two categories.*
(1) The Crahazy workout guys who are pretty psycho about their work out routines. These boys travel in packs of about 3 or more. They laugh a lot but mostly only when their buddy is crying out in pain because he's on his 300th rep. Curiously they also only wear the gay shirts that are sleeveless, but not just sleeveless. Oh no, these are the shirts that also have no sides and are only connected in a thin band around the waist. This I believe is to show off to all the other psycho guys how good their abs look from the side. But maybe it's really for good air flow...I'm not sure as I will never wear one.
(2) The girls. I wish that there was a sound byte function so you could actually hear how I'm saying the word 'girls'. It would be extremely high pitched valley-girlish and might include a foot pop. These are the girls who go to the gym in clothing that in all societies is not considered actual clothing. And they don't really have the look for it anyway. They also travel in packs curiously enough. Their workout consists of doing every possible weight or exercise but for only about 30 seconds. No joke, last night I saw a girl get all ready for sit-ups, do ONE, and then get up and move on to squats where she did 3. Feel the burn sweetheart. I also got a dirty look because I was on the same machine for 50 minutes and I guess she wanted her 30 seconds....
One thing both groups have in common is that they could all benefit from a personal training session. If for no other purpose then to show them the proper weight lifting technique. For instance, when doing a squat the most terrible thing you can do is extend your knees out past your toes. Well apparently no one shared.... I'm pretty sure they're all doing more harm then good. But that could just be my impression. Also throwing the weights around with no semblance of control doesn't really exhibit the finesse you think of when someone has a lot of strength.
Mostly I was just shocked at the oddness of these gym going people. I was there for an hour and a half and was pretty sad the entire time that I was there by myself and had no one to comment to. I think next time I'll go at a different time.
*I say not all because granted I was there and while I did feel like a weirdo by association, my being rejects that I am actually this weird
Monday, February 15, 2010
I'm in the midst of a friendly debate with Cor about the Olympics. This year are the Winter Olympics. We were discussing the opening ceremonies and Cor mentioned that the Winter Olympics just make her miss the Summer Olympics. I disagree as the Winter games are in fact my favorite. Disclaimer: I do love the Summer games, Winter is just my favorite. She thinks they're boring. So I thought I'd lay out her argument and then give mine since texting this to her was fairly tedious and annoying.
Why Cor thinks Summer is better:
* Cory is a summer person.
* There's too much snow in the winter games.
* Summer has swimming, running, water polo, and volleyball to offer.
* Snow activities get boring to watch whereas swimming is more interesting.
* I am a winter person.
* There's a broader range of activities in winter. I sometimes feel that the summer games is only swimming and running and I get tired of that.
* People seem a little happier in the winter games, I mean take any interview with the snowboarders and you come away thinking they've done drugs at least once, and they'd just be fun to hang out with.
* Watching curling in the middle of the night while writing a paper is better than watching gigantic hideous looking men weight lift.
Points we will concede:
Cor - Ribbon dancing is not a damn sport. There are more ridiculous sports in summer.
H - Ski jumping is so boring. All the people look the same and the weird announcer telling me about the minute change between an open hand and a closed hand doesn't help. It makes me miss diving.
So we'll never agree on this because fundamentally Cor likes heat and I like cold. And we're okay with that. I still love her. But it got me thinking about whether or not other people have such strong opinions about this or if it's just us. It could be us because we're pretty opinionated people, but I still wonder.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Today has been a wonderful terrible day all rolled up in one. Crazy how stuff like that works. And I'm in the mood to talk it out so here we go. And thanks for listening ahead of time :)
Today I spent a lot of time at work which was totally fine but for some reason it just gave me way to much energy. I had to do about 50 push ups to work it all out...well kind of. Mostly I just needed to get my mind off of the phone call my momma gave me.
About three weeks ago my grandma fell down some stairs and broke her elbow and had to have surgery. She was getting better, I talked to her on Saturday, but I guess today she fell again. Only this time she broke her femur (I've done this before, it's terrible) and she has to have a really complicated surgery and she won't be able to walk for 6 weeks. I truly despise the feeling of not being abl to do anything. My momma sounds so sad and I'm worried about her and about my grandma too. It's just crazy how fast things happen. How fast your life can change. Or how fast your perception of life can change. Maybe that's more appropriate.
So that was hard. Is still hard. I don't know. I'm scattered. But at the same time I am now SOOOOOO ridiculously excited and happy for my best friend in the world who got engaged tonight! She's been dating her fiance for four years and from the beginning it just made me happy to see them together. They're fantastic together and her being happy makes me just as happy! I totally approve of Jimmy, especially after Lauren and I putting him through the experience of meeting my papa bear : ). What a fantastic way to end a weird day right?!
Love is so amazing to watch. We should realize it more in our lives and not take it for granted. Because you never know how fast life can change on you.